Investigation. Inquiry. Imagination. Here, we'll explore America and what it means to be American by studying its people, ideas, and manifestations through literature. Welcome.
Thursday, November 12, 2009
Rationalist vs. Romantic?
here's a spot for your post:
12 comments:
Anonymous
said...
if i were to place myself in either romantic or rationalist i would be a rationalist. i would be a rationalist because i am a literall person an base my life on factual information. i go by what is definite, meaning ideas can be proven by given information. i believe in being able to prove a your points by reasoning, resulting in why i believe i am a rationalist.
I think that I would be neither a Rationalist nor a Romantic. I believe that there’s shouldn’t be any stronger side in yourself. You should have a balance between rationalism and romanticism within yourself because you can’t rely completely on your emotions in life because sometimes they can be misleading. However, you can’t rely completely on fact either because if you rely only on facts, you might as well be a robot. Sometimes facts can be contradictory to your feelings and beliefs. Take religion for example. Religion can’t be proven as a fact. Religion is romantic because it is mainly based on feelings and beliefs. Despite the fact that religion can’t be proven to be 100% accurate, it still shapes people’s lives today. But you can’t rely solely on religion in your life, because it isn’t fact, you can let it influence your life, but you have to be rational and realistic. If you just focus on religion and pray that money will just fall into your lap so you can buy food, it isn’t a fact that it will happen. However, if you were to be rational and go out and get a job, then it’s a fact that you will get money so you won’t starve.
I believe that I would fall under the category of a rationalist more so than a romantic because I believe that I am a realist which can be linked closely to rationalism. Not to sound negative I prefer common sense over you're "gut feeling," and I tend to use reason and factual information to acquire a solution rather than a hunch. Contrary altough I fall under the genre more so of a rationalist I do under certain circumstances seem to be a romantic, such as having youthful faith and perceptions. This does not indicate that I am immature, it rather suggests that reguardless of what age I am, I would never try to take myself to seriously and alwasy provide my life with an area for fun and enjoyment! Therefore although I have both romantic and rationalist qualities I still feel that I am miore of a rationalist because I if I need to be proved a point i require fact rather than feeling...
If I were to chose between the two I would be a Rationalist. Simply because my 'gut feeling' isn't enough for me to make a decision. I don't depend on my emotions to make any choices. Different emotions come and go, making it hard to rely on your gut, because your emotions are unstable. Rationalists are intune with reality, and they don't fool themselves with things that are not reality. Often times we all foul ourselves and live in that little dream world of what we wish could be;but simply isn't. We're all guilty of that, and thats the only way I would be considered a Romantic. It's easier to be truthful with yourself, than to believe something is true when it's not. That is why I would chose to be a Rationalist over being a Romantic.
If i had to chose between being a rationalist or being a romantic, i would have to go with myself being a rationalist. It makes more sense for me to make decisions on reason and logic rather than how you are feeling. I agree with caitlin, when she said your gut feeling isnt always reliable. Facts are much more dependable because your gut feeling is constantly changing with each situation.
How i see myself in relation to nature is being apart of it. i dont really notice nature very much besides when it catches my attention. I consider nature being my friend. Sometimes when i notice how beautiful nature can be i just sit and look at it and apprecicate it in the world. Nature is definatly not my enemy. I dont know how nature can be anyones enemy.
If I had to choose one for me it would have to be rationalism because I let logic and reason and facts to guide my life, but i also sometimes let emotion guide my decisions so I'm a little bit of both, I'm a balance.
I see my self in relation with nature as being some what apart of it as Emily said, i think that if the people of the world wasnt here it would be a huge change in nature. im just not sure if it would be a positive change or a negitive. I defininty think nature is a big part of my life i notice how buatifuul it is. even just a simple leaf on the ground. Nature is my friend i guess i would have to say i enjoy being outside breathing the fresh air and looking at the pretty surroundings it relaxs me.
Yes, there is a lesson that can be learned from what we observe in the natural world and what we observe in our own existence. The life of a person can be very basic and repetitive, unless it is changed. The seasons will always be spring, summer, fall, winter, unless they change, by global warming or just moving south. Eventually everyone goes through the same life problems, we all have to deal.
I see myself as very small in relation to nature. Nature is so vast, large, rich, and filled with life. As a human population, we have completely lost touch with reality, we have become very self absorbed, and have failed to see how much we destroy nature around us. I am a part of the integral part of nature, i do not destroy like ignorant people. Nature is my friend, but not in cheesy spiritual way.
Nature is something that people constantly take advantage of. I see nature as a big part of me because i find that it is very peaceful. Nature is definately my friend, not my enemy. How can it be my enemy when it has given me air to breathe and scenery to look at. If you really sit back and look at the natural world you will see that it is incredible.
We can learn a lot from nature. We can try to figure out where and when a tornado will hit the ground or a hurricane. Also, we can learn more about why certain elements in the world create things like water, fire, and etc. We can also, use nature to our advantage, we can grow more trees so they can take in CO2 and create a cleaner environment.
Nature is my enemy. It should be everyone's enemy. Nature is the key for our success, but also for our destruction. It rains outside giving us water to drink and feeding our plants and crops. But, if we have to much water, it could cause flooding and destroy crops and the land. A hurricane could hit the coast of Texas, it can create massive destruction and even peoples lives. But, it helps others start fresh and create a new town and society. For example Greensburg, KS, a massive tornado hit the ground and destroyed everything, but Greensburg is now a replica for all the other towns because they have created a more "green" and efficient society.
12 comments:
if i were to place myself in either romantic or rationalist i would be a rationalist. i would be a rationalist because i am a literall person an base my life on factual information. i go by what is definite, meaning ideas can be proven by given information. i believe in being able to prove a your points by reasoning, resulting in why i believe i am a rationalist.
Zach P
I think that I would be neither a Rationalist nor a Romantic. I believe that there’s shouldn’t be any stronger side in yourself. You should have a balance between rationalism and romanticism within yourself because you can’t rely completely on your emotions in life because sometimes they can be misleading. However, you can’t rely completely on fact either because if you rely only on facts, you might as well be a robot. Sometimes facts can be contradictory to your feelings and beliefs.
Take religion for example. Religion can’t be proven as a fact. Religion is romantic because it is mainly based on feelings and beliefs. Despite the fact that religion can’t be proven to be 100% accurate, it still shapes people’s lives today. But you can’t rely solely on religion in your life, because it isn’t fact, you can let it influence your life, but you have to be rational and realistic. If you just focus on religion and pray that money will just fall into your lap so you can buy food, it isn’t a fact that it will happen. However, if you were to be rational and go out and get a job, then it’s a fact that you will get money so you won’t starve.
I believe that I would fall under the category of a rationalist more so than a romantic because I believe that I am a realist which can be linked closely to rationalism. Not to sound negative I prefer common sense over you're "gut feeling," and I tend to use reason and factual information to acquire a solution rather than a hunch.
Contrary altough I fall under the genre more so of a rationalist I do under certain circumstances seem to be a romantic, such as having youthful faith and perceptions. This does not indicate that I am immature, it rather suggests that reguardless of what age I am, I would never try to take myself to seriously and alwasy provide my life with an area for fun and enjoyment!
Therefore although I have both romantic and rationalist qualities I still feel that I am miore of a rationalist because I if I need to be proved a point i require fact rather than feeling...
where do we comment for the writers notebook question 1?
If I were to chose between the two I would be a Rationalist. Simply because my 'gut feeling' isn't enough for me to make a decision. I don't depend on my emotions to make any choices. Different emotions come and go, making it hard to rely on your gut, because your emotions are unstable.
Rationalists are intune with reality, and they don't fool themselves with things that are not reality. Often times we all foul ourselves and live in that little dream world of what we wish could be;but simply isn't. We're all guilty of that, and thats the only way I would be considered a Romantic. It's easier to be truthful with yourself, than to believe something is true when it's not. That is why I would chose to be a Rationalist over being a Romantic.
Caitlin C
If i had to chose between being a rationalist or being a romantic, i would have to go with myself being a rationalist. It makes more sense for me to make decisions on reason and logic rather than how you are feeling. I agree with caitlin, when she said your gut feeling isnt always reliable. Facts are much more dependable because your gut feeling is constantly changing with each situation.
Quickwrite p. 176
How i see myself in relation to nature is being apart of it. i dont really notice nature very much besides when it catches my attention. I consider nature being my friend. Sometimes when i notice how beautiful nature can be i just sit and look at it and apprecicate it in the world. Nature is definatly not my enemy. I dont know how nature can be anyones enemy.
If I had to choose one for me it would have to be rationalism because I let logic and reason and facts to guide my life, but i also sometimes let emotion guide my decisions so I'm a little bit of both, I'm a balance.
I see my self in relation with nature as being some what apart of it as Emily said, i think that if the people of the world wasnt here it would be a huge change in nature. im just not sure if it would be a positive change or a negitive. I defininty think nature is a big part of my life i notice how buatifuul it is. even just a simple leaf on the ground. Nature is my friend i guess i would have to say i enjoy being outside breathing the fresh air and looking at the pretty surroundings it relaxs me.
laura p
Pg 176- Make the Connection & Quick write
Yes, there is a lesson that can be learned from what we observe in the natural world and what we observe in our own existence. The life of a person can be very basic and repetitive, unless it is changed. The seasons will always be spring, summer, fall, winter, unless they change, by global warming or just moving south. Eventually everyone goes through the same life problems, we all have to deal.
I see myself as very small in relation to nature. Nature is so vast, large, rich, and filled with life. As a human population, we have completely lost touch with reality, we have become very self absorbed, and have failed to see how much we destroy nature around us. I am a part of the integral part of nature, i do not destroy like ignorant people. Nature is my friend, but not in cheesy spiritual way.
Nature is something that people constantly take advantage of. I see nature as a big part of me because i find that it is very peaceful. Nature is definately my friend, not my enemy. How can it be my enemy when it has given me air to breathe and scenery to look at. If you really sit back and look at the natural world you will see that it is incredible.
We can learn a lot from nature. We can try to figure out where and when a tornado will hit the ground or a hurricane. Also, we can learn more about why certain elements in the world create things like water, fire, and etc. We can also, use nature to our advantage, we can grow more trees so they can take in CO2 and create a cleaner environment.
Nature is my enemy. It should be everyone's enemy. Nature is the key for our success, but also for our destruction. It rains outside giving us water to drink and feeding our plants and crops. But, if we have to much water, it could cause flooding and destroy crops and the land. A hurricane could hit the coast of Texas, it can create massive destruction and even peoples lives. But, it helps others start fresh and create a new town and society. For example Greensburg, KS, a massive tornado hit the ground and destroyed everything, but Greensburg is now a replica for all the other towns because they have created a more "green" and efficient society.
Post a Comment