Hi all,
I wanted to get this posted yesterday, but somebody brought a nasty germ to class last week, and I spent yesterday with Kleenex and chicken soup! Next week, we'll finish up our examination of "The Catcher in the Rye" and then complete a brief project called, "This I Believe About Being American". Check out the link below from National Public Radio to get a sense of what this is about:
http://thisibelieve.org/
9 comments:
I didn't know where i was supposed to post my hw from monday night so i made a blog and posted it there. Here is the address
http://samuelwhwmsrobidoux.blogspot.com/
Well I guess you post your Monday Night homework here..
I still believe that there are Puritan-like people all around today. For example, people are still expressing their religions, and there are different branches of religion, because not all people want to have the same religion. As for Rationalism, I can see that a lot of scientist today use reason to back up their hypothesis's and statements. When something happens, we try to find a reason why that happened, so I think the Enlightenment period set up the basis for our thoughts and the way we think today. I think life back in the seventeenth and eighteenth century created the basis of how American public life acts today.
In our society today, rationalism is used much more than the puritan beliefs. Rationalism gives people logical reason for why things happen, how things are invented and educates us in reasoning for the world. I see puritans all the time such as in church because everyone there is beleiving in their religion and expressing their faith to god. But outside of church u do not see strong puitain beliefs being expressed because there is a limite to expressing you religion, for example, in school and at work you can not or do not talk about your religion because there are many different religions and sometimes it is not allowed. Purtains are everywhere as they can express their beliefs through accesaries such as cross knecklaces or bracelets but you do not see it expand from that. You see rationalism all the time and everyone that takes a science class expresses it. You need to use reason when answering questions in labs, ect. Scientist is the best example of a rationalist because they use logical reasoning all the time when conducting an experiment and answering their hypothesis. As you can see rationalism is expressed much more than the beliefs in a religion.
Tyler F
..so schools and churches/synagogues/mosques are where you're seeing evidence today. Do Puritan and Rationalist beliefs show up elsewhere? In what way(s) do those beliefs MATTER? : ) Keep the posts coming! Thanks, to those who've already beat the deadline for today!
I think Puritan and Rationalist beliefs show up everywhere we look. Most people wouldn't notice them because people dont express them in as demanding ways as they used too. I think though if you look anywhere benath the surface the beliefs are still there. I think the beliefs matter because they are people opinions on how they view the world and everyones opinion matters even if some parts of society doesnt agree with them.
As the years have progressed science has greatly improved in most areas of the world. In science, there should always be an answer, there is no such thing as miracles. But to religious people such as puritains, miracles are partly what drive them. In China, their hospitals are half tradional medicines, and half western medicines, traditonal is very basic, religious rituals. Western medicines are more modern and do not rely on some form of "God" to save them. Or most Catholic churches do not believe in fertility treatment, their reason why they cannot use fertility treatment is because "God" does not want it to happen, but really there must be something wrong. Back then, true answers were hard to come by, so they used the next best thing, God.
I think that there are still influences from puritan beleifs everywhere in ou world. For example now people lokk at religion differently than the church did in the 1700's and so did the puritans. They had more doubt in there beliefs and they also knew what was true in there religion because of what they saw in their everyday lives and I think that is true to most people today as well because with new concepts that go against the church and it's beliefs the people are going to trust the facts.
i believe that there are still puritan beliefs all around the world.for example everyone looks at religion differently and there people dont know what is true but the puritans back then did. i agree with tyler
sorry Mrs.Robidux for getting it in so late
I feel that I still see puritan beliefs out there, I mean especially with the government there always coming out with a crazy excuse for something weather it be war, or involving our selves in other countries affairs. People also are coming up with their own ideas on things, such as one peoples reasoning for something happen can differ from someone else s reasoning. I also notice this in science something is always changing weather it be for how the earth was created, to global warming, everyone voices a different opinion.
Post a Comment