Sunday, October 18, 2009

Views on the Rhode Island and Providence Plantations issue

http://www.projo.com/opinion/columnists/content/CL_brussat6_08-06-09_28F8U74_v19.3f8b761.html

http://www.projo.com/opinion/contributors/content/CT_jennings15_10-15-09_LDFONI1_v28.3f8f05d.html


Take a look at the two viewpoints; post a comment by the end of this week.

12 comments:

Emily M said...

Page 71 # 6:
I think that the speaker means what she says. Even though she does not reveal that hundreds of books and unpublished poems were lost in the fire i think she is still "crying out to heaven". The fire that went on still causes her much pain even if she only reveals the earthly possessions she lost. Maybe the hundreds of books and her unpublished poems werent as significant to her as the earthly possessions were. She says " here stood that trunk, and theres that chest, there lay that store i counted best. My pleasent things in ashes lie, and them behold no more shall I".By these words it seems that she is very sincere and upset about what happened so i am convinced that the speaker means what she is saying.

Mike M. said...

Page 71 # 6:
I don't believe the speaker. I believe the she's much more attached to her possessions than she lets on. Lines 29 -34: "Under thy roof... shall be" aside from being just about the house, this could be based on the stories/poems she wrote that got burned in the fire. She also uses words like "wealth", "treasure", and "love" to describe her possessions which shows that she's very upset about losing them.

Anonymous said...

sarah D
pg 66#7

In The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano, Olaudah exsperiences many forms of slavery. He is traded multiple times throughout the biograhy and takes note on the treatment of others. At first when Olaudah as kidknapped he was kidnapped along with his sister, when they were later seperated it become even harder on the both of them because they didn't have each other. one of the major problems with the slavery that olaudah was having was the withdrawels from family, especally his sister. He was traded numerous times and takes note to how people are being treated and forced to eat dring sleep and even tied down to one spot. In olaudah's case he was very lucky, o an extent that he was owned by very nice people that didn't really work him hard and treated him like family. one family actually helped him with his sister and tried to make it so they could stay together no matter what was gonna happen. Olaudah's most difficulties throughout the narrative was that he felt lonely and that his sister kept being taken away from him. some current events that reveal a similar capacity for brutishness in human nature is maids and some racism today. In any job there is a chance that someone may be racists its just up to you to stop it beacause the laws have been put into affect. I say being a maid because it gives the sence of a slave but being a maid you get paid to be and choose that. Today there isn't many things similar to this narrative because so many things have changed since then, but if i were to try o compare then to now those are the two things that come to my mind.

Samuel W said...

Pg 71 # 6
In this poem Bradstreet uses words like "glory richly furnished" to describe her house. She briefly talks about her lost work but not in the manner that she talks about her posessions and house so in the end i do not believe what she says she must care about her books and poems more than that.

Jake L said...

I do believe what Anne Bradstreet is saying because she is a Puritan or almost certain she is a Puritan. I can almost certainly tell she is a Puritan because in the picture in the book, it shows a drawing of a chair seat, and at the bottom it said it was founded in Boston. In Boston at the time period of the 1600s most people in New England were Puritans especially in Boston. So, some of her comments such as “And to my God my heart did cry To strengthen me in my distress”, she must believe that God did this for a purpose and was helping her out in way, which shows that she is committed to her God and in the Puritan religion God came before everything in life, which would mean that all of those possessions she lost in the fire, didn’t matter to her as much as God. In other passages the word “His” is capitalized which I am sure “His” is referring to God and when she is says “It was His own, it was not mine” which gives me the idea that she believed that God was the owner of all her possessions and that she should worry more about God than of her possessions which God actually owns. Basically, I think she is meaning what she is saying because the things that she says are closely linked to God and her religion which are important values of the Puritans of New England.

Erin S said...

Pg 71 #6

I do not believe the speaker, a fire is devastating to anyone, especially if it consumes all of your belongings. To not be overly upset that your personal thoughts, writing and books were destroyed, is completely insane. She describes the set up of her home, or dwelling place, where the trunk and the chest is, and how her possessions lay in ashes. She is obviously mourning over the sentimental loss.

LMR said...

Really interesting commentary, folks. Amazing how what we BELIEVE about the writer--and about people in general--affects how we read something! Thanks for your thoughtful remarks!

Crystal L said...

Pg, 71 #6

I am not convinced the reader means what she says. Towards the end of the poem " The world no longer let me love, my hope and treasure lies above." To me that mean't nothing she says matters because the world doesn't care. That sentence to me seems like she died or killed herself and her hops and items are with her in heaven. Although however the way she uses her vocabulary and the words she uses make a point across that this event really tramatized her and " My sorrowing eyes aside did cast," looks to me like she got really depressed after this ecent. I'm not sure, I am honestly on the fence about this one.

Crystal L said...

I didn't know where tp post the Paine Prescription so I'm posting it here.

I would reply to Paine that he is absolutly right. America today has grown from such small colony's..look where we are today. From a few settlers, we have became our own, independant, prosperous country. Other countries didn't help us obtain that. America can rely on itself with issues and problems, aside from trade. Life today we rely GREATLY on trade. On the back of many objects, do you see "Made in China?" I know I do. I think we need to break off from trade to become "happy." Trading has caused our country's economy to crumble, if we didn't trade and borrow from other countries we wouldn't have this problem. It's scary how Thomas Paine could predict the well being of the United States, and I think we should have listened.

Erin S said...

Paine Prescription

I completely agree with Paine, America was never happy until we were clear of foreign dominion. As a somewhat new country, we are one of the strongest in the world. America is a great place to be happy, start new, and be free, but we have fallen economically on trade. We depend so much on China to manufacture our goods for a much cheaper cost, causing the United States to loose jobs because we want to save a couple pennies. We need to bring those jobs back to the U.S, repay our debts, and become a truly independent country. Paine was not blinded of the needs of the United States, he knew what was right and what changes that needed to be met.

Emily M said...

Paine Prescription

The words from Paine's pamphlet i think means American needs to be at peace with everyone. I think that Paine is saying that America is a place where we are known as good and if there is bad surronding us America will never be statsified unless we are stable or level grounded with everyone else. Considering the world as it is today i would reply to Paine saying that American will never be happy because we are not at Peace with other countries. There is still a war going on and there are grudges with other countries. I would tell Paine that the Dream that he wants or what American needs will never happen in the world today.

katelyn b said...

paine prescription

I completly agree with Paine's standpoint. He is saying that so long as America is tied to Britain, we can not be fully free and develop our country to our fullest potential. The part where he quotes The Stamp Act which says "to bind us in all cases whatsoever" really does mean that we would have had no control over the development of our country. In the world today I believe that the binding still exists because we rely on other countries to lend us money, plumeting us into debt, and we rely on other countries such as china and india etc to import many of the goods we see in American stores today. I am sure that Paine would be disgusted if he could see how we still rely on other countries to help us make our way. I would tell him that while his ideas are spot on, they probably will never be put into action by our country.

Post a Comment