Thursday, October 8, 2009

Some more RI connections you ought to know about

Post a comment after you read this:
http://www.projo.com/extra/2006/slavery/day1/

23 comments:

tyler paterson said...

I had no idea that slavery was so big in the north I thought that it was only big in the south and the the north was againist slaverty, but now I know more about slavery anbd my state.

Samuel W said...

It wouldn't let me post mt homework (#7 p 66) as a new post so I am posting it here.

The colonists felt that they were able to enslave the Africans for many reasons but in my opinion it was still very wrong. They felt they were made in gods image and the Blacks were inferior and could be enslaved. another reason was they felt so much more superior because they had ships government and other advanced things. Lastly they felt that god had given them this power to enslave then and they ought to do so. In conclusion the colonists had no problem forcing human beings to work hard labor because of these reasons. They didn't see anything wrong with the profitable and benificial labor of slaves and that played a major part in our countries history and development.

Anonymous said...

Zach P.
i didnt know that slavery in the north was as big as it was in the south because the north were fighting against it in the civil war but then i saw that there was a lot of slavery in the north.

Anonymous said...

Zach p
the colonist believed they had the right to enslave the africans because they thought they were more superior to them because they had mored advanced things then them like ships and government. they also thought that the africans were inferior and they could be used as slaves.

Tyler D said...

(I can't find an option to post on the blog, so ill post it here for now.)

I think that when the europeans saw how different the africans were compared to themselves and felt that they were better than the africans. I think that they felt superior to the africans because they believed that they were made in the image of god, that they were pefect, but since the africans were darker skinned that meant that they weren't perfect and maybe the europeans thought it made them less than human.

Joey Golden said...

I believe that European colonists thought they could enslave Africans because the colonists were "Superior". Colonists believed that everything around them was theirs. They could use anything they could get for whatever they wanted even if that meant enslaving another person. Colonists thought as long as the labor from one slave would benefit multiple colonists it was worth it.

Tyler F said...

I believe at one time colonists thought that slavery was okay because they viewed the slaves as unworthy. They believed that their race was right and so they could treat the africans that way. They saw the slaves as people on a lower level than them. I dont think the colonists even realized what they were doing at some points because they were taught that slavery was right and was normal so they all followed it.

Jake Pitochelli said...

#7 Pg 66: Although there are no excuses for such acts, I believe that there are a plethora of factors that can contribute to a humans cruel behavior. For instace one could argue that human cruelty is linked to a persons genetic DNA and that a person may be naturally angry. However if you believe that all humans are born innocent than you may believe that human cruelty can be identified with a persons background as I too belive. For instace in the time period that Equiano refers to (1700's)slavery was a part normal way of life and had been accepted in society for numerous years. Therefore if one grows up in a household where slavery is a normal way of life that person most likely has a greater chance of carrying on the tradition of slavery and the cruelty that goes along with such act. Current events that correlate to a similar capacity for human cruelty can be reflected in our nations economic status. Most believe that the failure of many has been related to the greed of a few. The lust of our currency by major enterprises and people such as Madoff have destroyed the oppurtunity for some to achieve the simple American dream. Although this situation is far less violent when compared to slavery, it still demonstrates the depth of human brutality and how low one can sink for self greed, pride, and preservation...

Jacob A said...

I feel that colonists thought that slavery was okay because, they felt that the color of their skin made them not human, and would just treat them like any animal, I feel they also did it because they were havening the work done for them, so they didn't have to pay to have anyone help them.

Jake Pitochelli said...

3 Responses:
1) I agree with both Joey and Tyler F that the Europeans thought that they were infact significant to the Native Americans, which may haveled to their enslavement. However I feel that a person must realize that cruely beating a person must be "somewhat" wrong and deny any biblical teachings that many european colonists were familar with in which we are all Gods creations.
2)In connection to Sam W's last comment on how God gave the right to colonists to enslave the Africans, although I'm sure that many at the time held this ideal evident I disagree that God would give any human the right to beat and enslave any other human being.
3)In relation to Tyler P's comment I did have somewhat of an Idea of the role that the North and especially Northeast played in the slavery of African American, however not to the scale in the article. I do feel the slavery was a national effort as well as a national downfall and although we have learned this lesson many prejudices still exisist and are not as published by the media elite more affiliated with their ratings and own success.

Emily M said...

Homework # 7 :
Human behavior throws many suprises at us. I dont think slavery is exceptable but some people did and still do today. I honestly dont know why people can control someone and force or tell them what to do. I think people inslave others because they are blinded by the color of their skin. I think they see someone different than them and they're not used to it so they lash out. They see other people doing it and no one is telling them wrong from right. Also there is superority based on external differences. The power of the example takes over. When people see everyone else doing something then they think its normal and okay. People follow it because it exists in their world. They also go to church and believe certain things and think god made it like this for a reason.

Emily M said...

Three Responses:
1) To what Jacob A said i agree that colonists didnt think slavery was a big deal. They were so used to it they didnt think anything was wrong with what was going on.
2)To what Jake P said i think the tradition of slavery is what went on. If thats all you see growing up you will think it is okay. I dont really understand how a person though can be cruel DNA wise. I dont quite believe everyone is born innocent but i dont think people can be born cruel either. I think it happens along the way of growing up.
3)I also agree with Tyler F. Colonists thought slaves were unworthy because of their race. Today it is wrong but back then it was right since they didnt know any better.

Laura P said...

There is no exact date when slavery had started. Luckily the world has changed. The reason why people thought it was ok to own other people is mind boggling. From hearing the stories of slavery today, it seems as if there are many possible reasons why people might have thought it was acceptable to treat the blacks the way they did. What I believe the strongest reason was for the whites was because of money. Slavery was a huge economic income for anyone who owned a slave. The slaves did all the work but the owners would receive all the pay.
The cruel power the slave owners had was outrages. The main reason why slavery became illegal was because people finally started to realize the extent of their cruelty towards other human beings. Unfortunately, while slavery was no longer justified, the treatment of blacks was less than equal for a long time to come. Even today, racism is an every present problem, with racial profiling as just one example.

tyler paterson said...

I believe that the time when the colonialist were inslaving people it was beacuse they thought they were superior to everyone else. And they in slaved people because of power, the colonialist think they are more powerful and better than the black slaves. And this caused the children (the new generation) to follow their pareents. thus causeing a period of slavery. And the reason it went on for so long is that the children's children's children we still being exposed to slavery and to thme they find it normal and except it.

LMR said...

I'm enjoying the interchange of your ideas; keep thinking and responding! Thanks for writing!

Erin S said...

Pg 66 #7

Humans love power, to feel important, to make choices, and to be right. We naturally all have huge egos that obstruct our view of reality. As humans we look for an easy way out of work that we do not want to do, and our solution was slaves. The majority of the colonist followed the same religion, Puritian. When these dark colored people, who practiced and different religion, were brought over to the United States, we saw them as weak, non believers of God. We took total advantage of them because they could not fight.

Erin S said...

Three Responses

1) I agree with Sam W, because we were a better developed country, we felt much more powerful to those who we thought of as inferior, or the blacks. Religion does play a big role because the colonists believed the god gave them this "right" to inslave people.

2) I also agree with Tyler D, the colonists did believe they were perfect, and they were a direct creation of god. When they saw these Africans with darker skin, they seemed more unhuman compared to themselves.

3) In addition to Joey's comment, the colonists were very greedy when they came to the U.S., taking land and resources from the Native Americans who were already occupying the land. The colonist wanted to make money quick, with minimal effort. And they achieved this goal by enslaving innocent people.

GOKU said...

I think that the colonists thought that enslaving another race was okay at the time because they never saw people like that before and since they weren’t accustom to the colonists’ ways they thought that “hey we can get these people to do what ever they want because they are basically cavemen and are dumb they don’t have guns or huge armies this will be easy.” So they saw these people as weak and jumped to take advantage of this opportunity.

Crystal L said...

#7 Pg. 66

Humans are very discrimanative towads people that don't look alike. The way they feel superior over people makes me feel discusted of our race. I didn't know that colonists were so slaved based, it's pretty sad if you think about it. However even today our society still discriminates towards African Americans.

Humans are very cruel and ignorant. Our society today is very hurtful. Ever since old times people were using African Americans as slaves, shipping them over here from their own homes. People are sick. Hopefully eventually we will overcome our discrimination against African Americans

Crystal L said...

Oh and by the way Ms R. I showed you in class I had this assignment in my notebook.

Jake L said...

I think that manipulation played a major role in why people were captured as slaves, also because normal aspect of everyday life in the Colonies, and lastly I think greed played a major role in slavery in the colonies. First, I think one guy came up with this idea that enslaving Africans was a good idea or thought of the blacks as evil or just bad people. This issue of discourse occurred, when this group or one person came up with this idea to hate on a certain race of people, and then his ideas, and behaviors towards these people came out to the whole society and I influenced how the white man and woman would behave towards this race of people. I think that this idea was widely accepted because the colonists saw that they could save some money off of having slaves instead of having regular workers. Then the triangular trade came into action and that caused the political side to say that this was good because it was good economically. But, in the north slavery wasn’t a common practice in the Northern Colonies, because they had no use for them, because they didn’t have the large plantations and farms like the Southern colonists had. I think the Northerners mood would have changed if they actually had use for the slaves. Also, most people in the Southern colonies moved to America for economic reasons, were in the Northern colonies, they fled for religious freedom, not all the time, but most of the time during this time period. I also, think having this idea raised in a family or household would then influence the other members of the household that slavery was normal, not directly, but indirectly, through what they see not what they hear.

Crystal L said...

I agree with Jake in his post, we manipulated people alot to achieve what we wanted most, I think that was an excellent point in bringing that up.

I also agree with Erin, that we love to feel powerful. I believe that is absolutly correct. Why do presidents accept such a heavy job? I bet you they would answer power. Every man/woman can't be president, so every opportunity we can get to have some sort of power, I believe we'll use.

Lastly I agree with Laura on the topic of Money. I think people back then, it was all about money, and unfortuantly I still believe that's true today. Money played a HUGE role, and people will do anything to get it. It's pretty sad we stoop to using other human beings to supply us with money. Just goes to show you how bad the United States really was.

Jake L said...

Three Comments

1. I agree with GOKU because it makes sense that the colonists would think of that idea that they are more superior than the other race, because the colonists would think that they are smarter than the others because of their better technologies.

2. I agree with Jacob on how the colonists thought of the Blacks differently because of their skin color and how it is a stereotype that blacks are not human. But the colonists had to pay and get the slaves not spend nothing to get them. The owner of that slave or slaves had to pay for a shelter for them and food for them so they wouldn't die, and loss money off of purchasing the slave.

3. I disagree with Sam that the colonists thought the slaves were more profitable to them because they really weren't, instead of paying a daily wage they would have to buy them of one payment which is profitable, but the owner still has to pay to keep that slave alive so he/she will work and live longer, so the owner wouldn't have to pay for another slave in the long run.

Post a Comment